Successful people are always looking for opportunities to help others. Unsuccessful people are always asking, 'What's in it for me?
Summer is over and it’s back to school, back to work, back to sports teams and club meetings… Everything picks up pace again in the fall, especially your social obligations.
But with socializing comes networking: tons of opportunities to let people know who you are and what you do.
Today is our FocalPoint Business Coaching’s Back to School Special: essential networking habits to make sure you’re all keyed up for the coming season.
Whether you are head of the parent-teacher association or opening a new restaurant in town – you are about to be exposed to oodles of networking opportunities in the next few months. Here’s what you should do to take advantage of them:
- Volunteer for a leadership position in your club or organization – often the time commitment is only a few hours per month, but the payback is awesome – you are instantly perceived as a leader and that label can leak onto other aspects of your life, like your career in sales or your small business.
- Introduce yourself – don’t be shy! Talk to the people you are meeting, get to know them and let them see that you are friendly and approachable.
- Ask people about themselves and how you can help them out - like Brian Tracy says, “Always look for ways to create business for others and they will always look for ways to reciprocate.”
- Don’t make your networking about you – make it about the people you meet. Become the person who can be depended on and who brings business for others.
- Be involved and be an active participant in all situations – your energy will show.
- Keep your integrity - Respect other’s time by being on time, show appreciation, return phone calls, keep up your appearance.
- Don’t ask for referrals, always say thank you when you get a referral and always follow up on the referral.
- Be the person you would want to do business with.
- Don’t forget your business cards.
Take these ten tips and get out into your community – chances are you will have another great year and you’ll pull in some serious prospects.
Want to brush up your networking skills? Call for a free business coaching session with a Brian Tracy certified business coaching professional.